Monday, February 04, 2008

wonder wash


This handy little hand cranked water saving laundry machine was mentioned on the Gdiaper yahoo group about a month ago. It was love at first sight. I immediately sent the link on over to my " hubby (who is working downstairs, but hey, it's easier to fire off an email than to remember to mention something later.)

When we moved , we considered buying a washer & dryer since the house we are living in has neither. Trips to the laundrymat are no longer the kind of adventure I enjoy, and with a newborn in the house (not to mention a houseful of others who wear and therefore make dirty clothes on a daily basis) we knew we'd need something for that favorite American pastime .... laundry. (it should be a pastime. I spend enough time doing it! )
So we looked into our options. Not wanting to spend a fortune on a washing machine for a house we are renting, we decided to rent the washer / dryer too. This way we are not responsible for maintenance, nor did we have to figure out how to get the darn thing UP the small spindly staircase.

sooo.. we decided to take the plunge and try this little experiment.
We both like that the Wonder Wash uses less water, soap and NO electricity.
I bought it along with the larger spin dryer which does use electricity, but much less than a traditional dryer.


I found many reviews about the wonderwash. This guy really seems to like it, and we're willing to try it for all the reasons he mentions.
We'd like to stop paying to rent our machines, which would be a monthly savings of rental fees, savings on the gas bill for the heating of the water, electric bill, and water bill. Plus this is a much more environmentally friendly option.

And it beats banging our clothes on a rock in the stream, and since we are without such a stream in our immediate location, it's worth a shot.

I'll be posting updates on this little experiment in frugality in the future!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You crack me up. Wouldn't put it past you if you had a stream out back that you would be washing clothes out there - lol!

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does the inside of the barrel have "wings" like conventional US style washers, or is it just a big smooth barrel on the inside?

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard alot about how the customer service for this place sucks in all the reviews I've read, although most of the criticisms have been from a year ago. I am interested to see if it's gotten any better. Do you intend to use this for washing all your clothes? I've heard alot too about it breaking after regular use, and I am really interested in getting this to use for all of my washing needs (except for comforters and such). Me and my husband live in AK and have our water delivered to us in a holding tank, so this looks very appealing. Would be really glad to know how it works for you! Thanks!

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home