Friday, February 01, 2008

peanut butter & bananas

it is a combination fit for the king.. it's good enough for me =)

actually, I have a long standing love affair with peanut butter and bananas. It started long before I knew Elvis loved them... my first pb&nana sandwich..yummm

My tastes have expanded, but sometimes the simplicity of childhood is the best inspiration for new dishes.
I am sure that I could do a weeks worth of posts on dishes with peanut butter alone (heh... that's not a bad idea.. I'll have to come back to that one in the future.) For today, I'll keep it simple and stick with one dish, one post.

Tonight we are going over to our friends' house for dinner. She asked if I could bring dessert. Usually, I'd make chocolate cake for dessert, but my friend is limiting her consumption of sugar. And the fact that this dessert will be eaten by kids at 7 or 8 o'clock at night makes the lower sugar thing a good idea all around. Last week when they came over I made gingerbread. It has sugar.. but the blackstrap molasses is high in iron and a better alternative to table sugar. BUT I DIGRESS>>>
this posts is about peanut butter & bananas.

Tonight's dessert will be a little something I created accidentally one day (the best kitchen creations often come of 'accidents'). Being willing to experiment in the kitchen is a cornerstone my frugal vegan self... I mean you have to be willing to try a recipe and futz with it. Take out the animal products and make it vegan... substitute something that you have on hand rather than running to the store to purchase what is on the ingredient list. (where I'll inevitably see other things we need, making the cost of the trip higher ... ) ((( Again... I see future post material here...)

so.. back to bananas..

Tonight I'll make peanut butter pudding with bananas on top. I might sprinkle a little bit of dark chocolate shavings in place of the chocolate syrup I like on this dish. It's also wonderful with a few strawberries...but it's winter, and I want to use things I have on hand.

I'll post a picture later.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm... that sounds delicious (you got me with the dark chocolate shavings, I admit). Can't wait to hear how it turns out. :)

1:48 PM  
Blogger Tammi said...

We were interviewed yesterday by a mom who was a vegan - but started craving meat early in her pregnancy - will be vegan post pregnancy, she said :-). She was so tickled to see your pic in the video. You are quite the role model. She expected most care providers to give her a hard time - I told her we learned from you!

Love, Tammi

8:03 PM  
Blogger jenni said...

=) Blueberrymama =) So good to hear from you! =) it was a tasty dish... I've been needing more dark chocolate in my life... I do miss the convenience of walking around the corner to pick it up like I did when we lived in DC! Not that I can't just go get it here... it's a little farther, not much... but it is colder and wetter! =)

Tammi ~ You make me blush, and you give me too much credit!! but thank you! =)
I wonder what would cause her to crave meat... is her iron low? I have heard of other pregnant mom's craving meat while preg... but for me, even when I was eating cheese & eggs, I never craved meat. If anything the idea of meat turned my stomach.

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home