Saturday, January 03, 2009

What's on the menu?, 1/3/2009, 10:00 am


Tonight I'm making spaghetti squash. I always get nostalgic when I bake it- and the funny thing is that it isn't from any particular recipe--- in fact every time I do make it I wing it- but still spaghetti squash reminds me of my grandma & grandpa- one year they were surprisedv when this strange squash started growing in their garden- they hadn't specifically planted it- had never even heard of it actually- at the time I took that little tidbit for granted- probably even thought them a little foolish or something!
 
Now, however, I enjoy the knowledge that that little tidbit gives me- and that is the knowledge that my granpatents were winging it too- they had an amazing garden-- in which I'm sure was planted my inspiration and desire to have one of my own. And mysterious things just grew in it. And they cooked up these mysterious veggies and ate them! And I can still see the grin on my grandpa face when he talked about growing stuff- or how my grandma described the strange stringy squash--- imagine- spaghetti in a squash!
 
Anyway- I don't know how it will all taste , but I always enjoy the nostalga that I dish up along with it!
 
:) Jenni

Posted via email from jenni's posterous

2 Comments:

Blogger jenna said...

there are so many things that happen in the kitchen that make me think of my grandparents. cutting into fresh cantaloupe from the voluntary vines near the slop bucket pit, ma's cast iron skillet corn bread, ma's yeast rolls, ma's fried chicken, sliced cucs from the garden, shelling peas, i could go on.... i love the memories i have when i prepare food. great post.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Alpaca Farmgirl said...

Hi Jenni! Wanted to drop by and visit your blog. I love spaghetti squash! It's such a surprising food. Delicious and fun but I am always forgetting about it. Thanks for the reminder.

6:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home